If you look at the evolution of mobile phones, from Motorola’s first phone in 1983 to Apple’s latest iPhone, there has been a lot of innovation. Now, if you look at pillow speakers in hospitals, there hasn’t been much change in the past 30 years.
Truth be told: they are BORING. After all of these years, all they can do is call a nurse, turn lights on and off, and control the TV. There are endless possibilities as to what can be done to improve this communication device cosmetically and functionally. They haven’t looked different in 30 years.
Curbell’s website states:
The hospital pillow speaker originated more than five decades ago, when Curbell crafted the first model for General Electric. And from one generation to the next, Curbell has only enhanced its reputation by driving innovation, ensuring the highest levels of safety, reliability and durability. The Gen4 line is our latest breakthrough in pillow speaker design, bringing the performance of these products into the future. Just like we always have.
- Large buttons are easy to find and press
- Intuitive button layout like home remote controls
- Superior Sound Quality
- DirectAccess 0-9 keypad enables direct navigation to specific channels and provides familiar home remote features such as previous channel and mute.
- Comfort-grip Case is streamlined and lightweight
- Proprietary Sealed Design Aids in Infection Control
- Allows for quick and easy cleaning and greater infection control by helping to reduce the risk of dirt, grime, and infectious fluids collecting on or in the unit.
- UL Listed and Oxygen Safe
- Ensures highest level of safety and regulatory compliance.
- Customization Available
- Options for customizing buttons, cable length, etc.
- All Gen4 pillow speakers can be easily reprogrammed in the field for use with different brand healthcare grade televisions.
- Stereo Headphone Jack Option
- Ideal for creating a quieter environment for patient rooms. Simply plug in earphones with an 1/8" plug.
- Analog Volume Control Option
- For situations where two pillow speakers need to control one TV, and a bed and pillow speaker share TV control.
- 2 Year Warranty
Crest’s website states:
The Crest Elite Pillow Speaker line launched in July of 2015. The Elite line of pillow speakers have a small contoured design which fits the hand for ease of use, enhanced infection control features and raised buttons that click for call placement reassurance.
- Digital, Infrared and Slimline Pillow Speakers available
- Choose from accessories such as pillow speaker bags, pillow speaker holder and pillow speaker/call cord tester
- Replacement parts or mail-in repair service available
Anacom Medtek's website states:
Anacom Medtek as innovated in the area of adding customizable colors with a disconnectable cable, and has a reputation for fast customer service, and custom attention.
All 3 of these companies have a reputation for quality and customer service but seem to lack innovation in disrupting the market.
Here are some ideas we have heard from customers on how to improve pillow speakers:
- Make pillow speakers touch screen
- Integrate Keyboards
- Expand IR capability
- Magnetic Breakaway
- More durable and cleanable product
Without a doubt, there is a lack of innovation in the pillow speaker market. How would you improve pillow speakers?